The insurance office of C.M. Steele Insurance Brokers Limited was founded in 1898 by Omer L. Steele. Omer was the sole owner of the agency at that time and operated the business from his home at 20 Steele Street in Port Colborne, Ontario.
Omer Steele only sold fire insurance on houses and boiler insurance on the tugs that operated on the Welland Canal.
Omer's nephew Charles M. Steele, worked for his great uncle chauffeuring him in his automobile, delivering policies. In 1940, Charles took over the business and operated from his home at 34 Steele Street, the family homestead.
Between 1940 and 1945, Charles was in the RCAF and during that time, his father Mervin Steele received special dispensation to deliver renewals. Upon his return, Charles re-entered the business and actively sold and serviced insurance in Port Colborne and surrounding areas until his retirement.
Kent W. Peacock joined the business in January, 1976 followed by Charles' son William Steele in 1982. Together they purchased the business from Charles.
In 1987, E. D. Woelfle Ltd. was acquired by and merged with C. M. Steele Insurance then located at 149 Clarence Street in Port Colborne where the office had been since the 1950's.
In 2004, the office moved to the present location at 46 Charlotte Street.
As times have changed, so have the products and services, and with changes in technology, the way we do business has changed as well. The one thing that hasn't changed is our commitment to our clients.
“Providing Complete Insurance Service Since 1898”